Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lessons Learned From Running My Frst Ultra (Run Toto Run 50k)

I just ran my first 50K at “Run Toto Run”. The run went very well. As I was running, I realized that the decisions that I had made during training made a huge difference in the outcome. The correct training really paid off on race day. Let me start out by saying that the Trail Nerds put on a great race. Thank you to Ben, Sophia and all the Trail Nerd volunteers who put in so many hours so that the runners can achieve their goals.

I am not an elite runner, but was just training to finish my first 50K. I had a goal of 8 hours and was definitely motivated by the cutoffs. I finished the race in 7:57. I was so excited to see that clock under 8 hours at the end. I thought that I had come up just short as I was coming over the last hill.

My training decisions were based on tips from experienced Ultrarunners, books, magazines, and the web. Here are the top things that stood out during the run as making a significant difference in the outcome. If you are considering running an Ultra, I hope these tips will help.

1. You have to commit –First and foremost, you’ve got to make a commitment. I’ve been wanting to attempt a 50K, but never felt prepared. I signed up for Run Toto Run about 3 months out, laid out a plan for ramping up my mileage to about 80% of the distance (25miles) then set off to train. That plan worked, and I was able to handle the 31 miles with no problem and even was able to do a little sprint at the end.

2. Practice Walking – For me, I have to walk the steep hills. Knowing that my walking on the steep hills at WYCO was my major weakness, I spent the cold snowy days on the treadmill walking as fast as I could while ramping up the elevation to 10 degrees. Once I got into the big hills at WYCO, I could power walk them with no problem. I was amazed how easy they seemed after doing this.

3. Practice Long Slow Distance – Having only run 2 Marathons, both of which were in muddy conditions, I didn’t have a lot of experience in pacing myself. I did 6 runs of 20 miles or more leading up to this event with the goal of finishing the runs with the feeling that I could still run 2-3 more miles. I then ramped up the last 2 runs to 23 miles and 25 miles (80%) to get the distance down.

4. Practice race day conditions – Knowing that hills are my weakness, I did some of the initial long runs under easier conditions (Clinton Lake) then moved to WYCO to train on the course. I did 4 runs at WYCO over 20 miles getting used to the hills and running the course in the snow. Running in the snow, although hard, may have been one of the best decisions. Come race day the snow was no big deal. The WYCO practice runs that Brad organized were perfect.

5. Have a Pacer – Being slow, I knew that I would probably be near the back of the pack. Having a Pacer made the event so much more fun. The encouragement you get from a Pacer that knows you well can make a huge difference. Thanks, Chris.

6. Taper – I made sure to do my last long run 3 weeks before the race. I ramped down the mileage and let everything heal. As it turns out this wasn’t too hard with the bad weather we had, so the timing was good. Come race day I was eager to get running.

7. Practice eating, drinking, electrolytes and bonking – I made sure to practice eating during my long runs and then had the same food available in my drop bag. I knew exactly how many gels I would use, how many S-caps to take and how much fluid I needed come race day. I also tend to bonk at about 4 ½ hours. Sure enough on race day, I bonked at 4 hours and knew what to eat, drink and how to deal with the feeling until conditions improved. Having a Ginger candy in my pack also settled a queasy stomach which may have saved my race. Once I pushed through it, I felt great the rest of the way.

8. Be mentally prepared - The mental aspect of an Ultra is huge. You have to be mentally convinced to go the distance and your mind will control how you feel. Do not go out there with the opinion that I will see how I feel after 20 miles. If you do, your body will shutdown at 20 miles. If your mind is convinced that you are running 31 miles, and you have physically prepared for it, you can do it.

We are all different, but these tips worked for me to make my first 50k a very fun experience. In fact, I’m already signed up for my next one.

Happy Running,

Mark

3 comments:

  1. Great tips Mark! I'm hoping to get my first 50k at the Summer Wyco Race and this is extremely helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is great to hear of someone putting in the necessary preparation and then being rewarded for it. great work! it sounds like you made the commitment and stuck with it. the wyco hills are tough, but walking fast uphill on a treadmill sounds way worse. congrats on your successful race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking about signing up for one soon. Maybe I can get some hints at work.

    ReplyDelete