Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Ice Age Trail 50k - A New PR

When running trails you occasionally come to a section of the trail where the pine trees are thick and the pine needles cover the trail. The soft feel of the trail and the quiet steps have always made me want to sign up for a race in the mountains where you can run through the tall pines. Little did I know that I had already signed up for one and was about to experience a great race where most of the course was run through tall pines on a smooth trail covered in pine needles. The Ice Age Trail 50 was just that. A well run race in a beautiful location in the southern Kettle Moraine State Forest near La Grange, Wisconsin.

The race was a 50 mile, 50k or half marathon. All 3 races shared some of the same course with the 50 milers using more of the Ice Age Trail. The Ice Age Trail is a 1,000 mile trail that follows the Kettles and Moraines left behind by Ice Age Glaciers. A combination of the glaciers depositing sediment (Moraines) creating small hills dotted with ponds, lakes and valleys (Kettles) caused by buried glacial ice that eventually melted. The trail is a combination or double track used for cross country skiing and snowmobiles to single track for hikers and runners. The 50k course used a combination of the Ice Age Trail single track and the Nordic cross country ski trail.

The race was set up with a staggered start with the 50 milers taking off at 6:00, the 50k at 8:15 and the half marathon at 9:30. The intent was for everyone to finish up at about the same time. There were 180 signed up for the 50k. I never could find out how many actually started but 142 finished. I always like to see the drop rate but couldn’t find the info this time.

The 50k course started with a 13 mile out and back section on the Ice Age Trail to Horserider’s Camp. The start went off with a count down from 5..4...3….2…1… and we were off.

The first 1 ½ miles was on a wide trail leading from the trail head to the Ice Age Trail. The trail was wide enough to run about 5 abreast and everyone was running at a relaxed pace to get things started. The running conditions were perfect. It hovered around 50 degree’s all day with cloudy skies and occasional mist with a light breeze out of the North. For a runner like me, that generates lots of heat, this is perfect. My wife on the other hand, froze while waiting for me to loop around. Once we got to the Ice Age Trail single track we were spread out adequately to hit the single track without any delays.

The run out to Horserider’s camp was easy running. At this point in the race everyone was holding back, the conversations flowed and everyone moved along at a nice relaxed pace. At this point we were doing about 11 – 11 ½ minute miles. Training on our local trails, which are technical and hilly, prepare you well for when you get to run on a smooth trail with gently rolling hills.



The course led over Bald Bluff which the first significant climb of the day and being this early in the race most everyone just walked up the switch backs to the top. Once at the top it was back down the other side then you enter the pine forest and run on singletrack to Horserider’s Camp. Most of this section was very runnable, but we did walk a few hills just to keep the pace relaxed. The single track through this section was covered with pine needles and passed through tall pines. There was even a little logging activity along the trail with the smell of fresh cut pine in the air. Once we refueled at Horserider’s Camp, then we returned along the same trail. Sometimes it’s fun to do an out and back section like this because you get to see the leaders come by and realize how fast they truly are and you get to see who is behind you. From here we returned to the Start/Finish aid station and could access our drop bags before starting the second leg of the race.

The second and leg of the race was a loop on the Nordic ski trail. This 9 mile loop is a cross country ski trail with short but steep roller coaster hills along with some straight sections in the open and flowing hills through the tall pines. Most of it was also very runnable with a few short steep hills that definitely had to be walked. The third leg of the race was a repeat of this same trail.



Overall elevation change according to my Garmin Forerunner 110 was 4,476 ft. A relatively mild elevation change compared to my last 50k at Wyco (Run Toto Run).  I finished Run Toto Run in just under 8 hours. This was under difficult conditions with 8-10” of snow on the course and much more elevation change. I had set up a pacing chart going into this race to maintain a 7 ½ hour pace goal. Once I completed the first 13 mile loop I was already ½ hour ahead of schedule. At first I thought that I was going out too fast and needed to back off, but I felt just fine and felt like I could maintain the pace. As I started the second loop, I tried to keep the pace even and thought I would adjust as needed during the third loop. Once I started the third loop, I felt even better so I tried to push the pace a bit. My pacing turned out to be dead on. Whenever I tried to push the pace, I started to get the feeling in my calves that I might cramp but I was able to maintain pace without cramping and only stopped once for a few seconds to stretch the calves.

I knew by this time that I had 7 hours in the bag and might even beat 6 ½. I crossed the finish line at 6:28. I was excited to see the clock when I crossed the finish line. A new PR by 1 ½ hours. That will probably never happen again. I ended up 71st out of 142 finishers which for me to be mid-pack is exciting.


Happy running,

Mark

4 comments:

  1. Holy cow!! What a fantastic race Mark!! Congrats on kicking some major ass... that's a heck of a PR... can't wait to see you break that one too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great race Mark, congrats on the PR, always a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome! I'll have to try it sometime. Also, GREAT finish time! You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding job, Double Eagle. Shouldn't be too much of a surprise, though. You've done your homework, and on tougher trails than this race offered. Thanks for sharing the experience.

    ReplyDelete